Evansville's west side was for many years cut off from the city's main part by Pigeon Creek and the factories that made the creek an industrial corridor.
The land comprising the former town of Lamasco was platted in 1837 and was annexed in 1870.
The county was named for Henry Vanderburgh, a deceased chief judge of the Indiana territorial supreme court.
Evansville became a thriving commercial town with a river trade, and the town began to expand outside of its original footprint.
Unfortunately the project bankrupted the state and was so poorly engineered it would not hold water.
By the time the Wabash and Erie Canal was finished in 1853, Evansville's first railroad, Evansville & Crawfordsville Railroad, was opened to Terre Haute.
By 1920, Evansville had more than two dozen furniture companies. A bridge was built across the Ohio River in 1932 and in that same decade steps were taken to develop an airport.
In the decades of the 1920s and 1930s city leaders attempted to improve Evansville's transportation position and successfully lobbied to be on the Chicago-to-Miami "Dixie Bee Highway" (U. However, in 1937 a massive flood covering 500 city blocks proved to be a major crises.
The population was 117,429 at the 2010 census, making it the state's third-most populous city after Indianapolis and Fort Wayne, the largest city in Southern Indiana, and the 232nd-most populous city in the United States.
It is the commercial, medical, and cultural hub of Southwestern Indiana and the Illinois-Indiana-Kentucky tri-state area, home to over 911,000 people.
In 1814, to attract more people, Mc Gary renamed his village "Evansville" in honor of Colonel Robert Morgan Evans.